The Shocking Experiments on Henrietta Lacks
The Shocking Experiments on Henrietta Lacks!
2013 – We Celebrate 25 Years
We are very proud of being “the oldest, continuously operating, incorporated, Black book club in the United States”.
It is no small feat to read together for 25 years. We began with Toni Morrison’s Belovedand this year we have selected the following 6 titles to celebrate our 25th year together.
- THE IMMORTAL LIFE OF HENRIETTA LACKS by Rebecca Skloot
- Rebecca Skloot: The Story of HeLa
Rebecca Skloot, author of “The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks” and the story of HeLa, the first human cells replicated in a lab. Rebecca Skloot is the author of The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks and a science writer whose work has appeared in The New York Times Magazine; O, The Oprah Magazine; Discover; Columbia Journalism Review; and many other publications. She is also a contributing editor at Popular Science magazine, and has worked as a correspondent for NPR’s RadioLab and PBS’s Nova Science NOW.
- THE IMPEACHMENT OF ABRAHAM LINCOLN by Stephen L. Carter
- OUR KIND OF PEOPLE by Lawrence Otis Graham
- HOME by Toni Morrison
- FRATERNITY by Diane Brady
- AT THE DARK END OF THE STREET by Danielle L. McGuire