LGBT Workplace Bullying
These LGBT people talk about what to do if you get bullied at work
Gay Star News chats to four LGBT people about their experiences of bullying at work and how to overcome it.
2017 Workplace Equality Fact Sheet
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) Workplace Discrimination at a Glance:
- One in four LGBT employees report experiencing employment discrimination in the last five years.
- The Transgender unemployment rate is three times higher than the national average.
- Over one quarter (27%) of transgender people who held or applied for a job in the last year reported being fired, not hired, or denied a promotion due to their gender identity.
- More than three-quarters of transgender employees take steps to avoid mistreatment in the workplace.
- Nearly one in 10 LGBT employees have left a job because the environment was unwelcoming.
- 8 percent of LGBT employees report that discrimination negatively affected their work environment.
- LGBT employees who make it into senior management are much more likely to be out than closeted: 71 percent compared to 28 percent of their closeted counterparts.
- In 2014, more than one in four LGBT adults (2.2 million people) struggled to put food on the table.
Federal and State Policy Landscape:
- There is no federal law barring employment discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- State laws vary widely:
- In 28 states, you can get fired just for being lesbian, bisexual, or gay.
- In 30 states, you can be fired for being transgender.
- Twenty-two states and the District of Columbia prohibit employment discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and/or gender identity by statute.
- The majority of Americans (67%) support federal laws protecting transgender people from employment discrimination.
- 71% of Americans support federal laws protecting LGBT people from discrimination in housing, public accommodations and jobs.
www.PureHistory.org supports the LGBT Workplace Bullying and Out & Equal Workplace Advocates to stop violence in the workplace and on the streets. To learn more go to the link below: