Seton Hill University
Seton Hill University: Aerial Selections
The school was founded in 1885 by the Sisters of Charity. It is named for Elizabeth Ann Seton (1774–1821), who founded the Sisters of Charity and who, after her death, was canonized as the United States’ first native-born saint. (Seton Hall University and the College of Saint Elizabeth in New Jersey are also named after Elizabeth Ann Seton.)
The Seton Hill University Administration Building, with a statue of Elizabeth Ann Seton.
In 1914, Seton Hill Junior college was opened by the Sisters of Charity. With the approval of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Seton Hill College was created four years later.
During the 1980s, men were regularly admitted to many programs at Seton Hill College, including music and theater. In 2002, Seton Hill was officially granted university status by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. After president JoAnne Boyle formalized the school’s new status as a university, the teams’ nickname was changed from “Spirits” to “Griffins,” and several men’s athletics teams were added, including American football. In 2006, Seton Hill announced it was transferring to NCAA Division II and joining the West Virginia Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (WVIAC). They had belonged to the NAIA.
Seton Hill University received public attention in 2010 after announcing a technology plan that includes providing an iPad to all full-time students, as well a 13″ MacBook to all incoming freshmen, and providing juniors with a 15″ model they can take with them when they graduate.