Descendants of Thomas Skillman Family
THOMAS SKILLMAN was an English soldier under the command of Col. Nicolls, to whom New Amsterdam surrendered in 1664 thereafter becoming New York. He did not return to England but remained in this new country and raised his family. By 1666 he settled on Long Island in the community of Newtown and married in 1669 SARAH PETTIT born about 1634; died after 1704 at Newtown; daughter of Thomas Pettit and Christian Mellowes. Thomas died about 1697.
Children of THOMAS SKILLMAN and SARAH PETTIT:
1. Thomas born 1671; married about 1693 Annetje Aten born about 1667 Flatbush NY; died after 1 Nov 1741; daughter of Adrian Hendrickse Aten. Resided Newtown LI NY. Thomas left will dated 13 Feb 1739; probated 4 July 1740.
2. Elsje born 1672 Newtown NY; married 1694 Thomas Aten born about 1670 Flatbush NY; died 1757; son of Adrian Hendrickse Aten.
3. Sara born 1675 Newtown NY; married 1694 Cornelis Hendricksen.
4. ELIZABETH born 1677 Newtown NY; died after 20 Aug 1743; married JAN ATEN born about 1672; died before 13 Mar 1742/3 Somerset Co. NJ; son of Adrian Henrickse Aten and (unknown). After 1710, they moved to Three Mile Run NJ.
Children of Thomas Skillman and Annetje Aten:
Named in will of Thomas dated 13 Feb 1739; (*);
1. Peter bp 4 Mar 1694 Brooklyn RDC; died young.
2. Elizabeth bp 4 Mar 1694 Brooklyn RDC; died Aug 1718 NY; married 7 Oct 1715 Hendrick Van de Water bp 23 Nov 1692; son of Johannes Van de Water and Baafje Jans.
3. (*) Jan bp 24 June 1696 Collegiate Church NYC; died about 1765 Somerset Co. NJ; married Anna Hull; daughter of Benjamin Hull and Sarah Drake.
4. (*) Mary born 1698; died after Dec 1735 NY; married (*) John Bond.
5. (*) Mercy bp 2 Feb 1701 Brooklyn RDC; married 3 June 1722 (*) John Fijn/Fine.
6. (*) Annetje bp 13 Jan 1703 NY RDC; died after Mar 1746; married 5 June 1719 (*) Hendrick Van de Water, the widower of her sister, Elizabeth.
7. (*) Abraham bp 18 Apr 1704; married 1 Feb 1733 Margaret Fine.
8. (*) Isaac born 1706 Newtown NY; died after 1742 Harlingen NJ; married Magdalena Beekman bp 14 Nov 1711; daughter of Christoffel Beekman and Maria Delancy.
9. (*) Jacob born 1708; died 1783 Kingston NJ; married about 1729 Jannetje Van Alst; daughter of Johannes Van Alst and Aeltje (unknown); moved to Kingston NJ.
10. (*) Benjamin born 1710 Brooklyn NY; died 31 Jan 1784 Kingston NJ; married about 1731 Margaret Coe; daughter of Samuel Coe and Margaret Van Zandt.
11. (*) Joseph/Joost born 1712; married Sarah Messerole; daughter of Jan Messerole and Elizabeth Praa. Left will dated 1 Oct 1767; proved 18 Apr 1772.
Links to more Skillman websites: